Rape Defense Lawyer in Philadelphia
Experienced Criminal Defense for Rape Cases in PA
Rape is a serious criminal charge in Pennsylvania. Even allegations of rape can have devastating effects on the accused. If you are convicted of rape, you face serious penalties and may have to register as a sex offender.
If you are under investigation for rape, you need to retain legal counsel immediately to protect your rights. At The Nenner Law Firm, our Philadelphia rape defense attorney is ready to fight for you and protect your rights.
What is Considered Rape?
Under Pennsylvania law, rape is generally defined as engaging in sexual intercourse with another person without their consent, whether by force, duress, or the use of drugs and intoxicants.
Penalties for Rape in Pennsylvania?
Rape is a felony of the first degree in Pennsylvania, punishable by imprisonment of up to 20 years and a maximum fine of $25,000. However, if the victim was drugged for the purpose of rape, then a conviction carries a maximum prison sentence of 30 years and fines of up to $125,000.
If the victim is under 13 years old, then a conviction is punishable by imprisonment for up to 40 years and a fine of up to $25,000. If the rape of a child under 13 involves serious bodily injury, a conviction carries a life sentence.
A person convicted of rape may also be ordered to register as a sex offender. The court may order the person convicted of rape to pay for the cost of counseling for the victim and may prohibit the convicted person from contacting the victim. A conviction for rape can have a devastating effect on the convicted person, as well as their family.
What to Do if You Are Under Investigation for Rape
Law enforcement officers will investigate sex crimes very thoroughly and will use all the resources at their disposal to try to convict you. You need to have a criminal defense lawyer who will fight for you and protect your rights. The Nenner Law Firm is ready to help you.
Here are some general steps to consider:
- Seek Legal Representation: Contact a criminal defense attorney who specializes in sexual assault cases as soon as possible. An attorney will protect your rights, provide advice, and represent your interests throughout the legal proceedings.
- Remain Silent: It is important to exercise your right to remain silent. Refrain from discussing the details of the case with anyone except your attorney. Anything you say could potentially be used against you, so it's best to avoid making any statements without legal counsel present.
- Gather Evidence: Work closely with your attorney to gather any evidence that can support your defense. This may include gathering any relevant documents, communication records, or other evidence that could challenge the accusations against you.
- Maintain Documentation: Keep records of any relevant information related to the case. This may include preserving text messages, emails, or any other forms of communication that could be useful for your defense.
- Cooperate with Your Lawyer: Provide your attorney with all necessary information and cooperate fully throughout the legal process. Your attorney will guide you on how to handle interviews, hearings, and any other legal proceedings.
- Preserve Witnesses: Identify and provide your attorney with the names and contact information of any potential witnesses who can support your side of the story. Your attorney can then interview and gather statements from these witnesses to strengthen your defense.
- Follow Legal Advice: Listen to and follow the advice of your attorney throughout the legal process. They will guide you on how to respond to allegations, navigate interactions with law enforcement and prosecutors, and help you understand the potential outcomes and options available to you.
The sooner you retain an attorney, the sooner they can begin working on your case. The Nenner Law Firm has been defending clients in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas for years. We are ready to help you.
Services Offered in Spanish
Committed to Helping Our Clients
Record of Success
37+ Years of Experience