Email or Call (215) 564-0644

    Can You File a PA PCRA Petition After Discovering New Evidence? By a Philadelphia Criminal Defense and Appeals Lawyer

    Question: My brother was charged with murder in Philadelphia and convicted at trial.  He is serving his sentence right now.  He has always insisted that he was with a girl at the time of the murder.  He met her earlier in the night and was hanging out with her on the night the victim was murdered.  My brother didn’t get the girl’s number and didn’t have her contact information.  His lawyer also never found the girl to testify at trial.  Recently, my brother’s friend saw the girl and was able to get her contact information.  Can we appeal my brother’s case?

    Answer:  Yes, he may be able to file a PCRA petition to request a new trial.  Per Pennsylvania’s PCRA law, a defendant may file a PCRA petition if he was convicted of a crime, and if one of the following conditions is met:

    • the defendant is currently in prison for the crime,
    • the defendant is on death row, or
    • the defendant is serving a sentence for another crime and must complete that sentence before serving the sentence for the crime he was convicted for.

    There are different claims a defendant may argue in a Philadelphia PCRA petition.  Though you’ve provided some details of your brother’s case, there may be other important issues we need to discuss.  My answer is based on the information you provided, and there may be other PCRA claims.  Therefore, it is best to talk to a Philadelphia criminal defense lawyer who handles PCRA petitions.

    In your brother’s case, it seems likely that a PCRA petition may be filed based on the claim of newly discovered evidence.  However, the newly discovered evidence has to meet the law’s definition which is complex and not as simple as the phrase itself suggests.

    In order to prevail in a PCRA petition based on newly discovered evidence, the evidence cannot have been reasonably discoverable before, and if the evidence was presented at the time of trial, it would have changed the outcome of the trial.

    Related: PCRA Petitions – New Trial Based On New Alibi Witness

    In your brother’s case, if his lawyer used all means to try to find the girl, i.e., talked to everyone at the party, hired an investigator to locate the girl all over the United States, etc., but still could not find her, then the girl could not have been reasonably discovered.  In addition, if the girl was called as a witness at trial, her testimony would have changed the outcome of the trial because your brother was with her at the time of the murder.

    Again, I don’t have all the information, and there may be other claims he can make in a PCRA petition.  It is best that we talk to discuss the details about the murder charge and conviction.

    Help from a Philadelphia Criminal Defense Lawyer

    If you would like to discuss your son’s case, please call my office to schedule a FREE consultation.  215.564.0644.

    Disclaimer: This website does not create any attorney-client relationship or provide legal advice. Our lawyers provide legal advice only after accepting a case. It is imperative that any action taken is done on advice of counsel. Read full disclaimer below.

    David S. Nenner

    "Top Rated Criminal Defense Lawyer"

    Not guilty on 1st Degree MURDER CHARGE (dec. 2022, Pottsville, Pa)

    Mr. Nenner's client faced first degree murder, third degree murder and various other charges. The Commonwealth alleged that Mr. Whitted stabbed and killed a driver after an incident at a red light in West Brunswick Township. Throughout the trial, Mr. Nenner argued...

    MURDER, Att. Murder CHARGES – Negotiated Significantly Lower prison sentence (Feb. 2022, PHILA)

    Mr. Anderson faced murder and attempted murder charges after an incident in Northeast Philadelphia involving the shooting death of Anderson’s sister’s boyfriend and the boyfriend’s roommate who was shot 5 times and survived. The decedent had previously beaten the...


    The Commonwealth alleged that Mr. Shelton shot and seriously injured a male in a bar in North Philadelphia called Circles. There was video of the shooting which happened outside the bar. However, Mr. Nenner presented witnesses who testified that the person in the bar...


    Mr. Nenner's client was charged with multiple crimes (murder, conspiracy, aggravated assault, robbery, etc.) after a shooting death occurred at a gambling house in North Philadelphia. At trial, Mr. Nenner successfully presented a self-defense argument and convinced...


    Mr. Nenner’s client was charged with murder and gun charges in Philadelphia. The client was accused of shooting and killing another male on Arch Street near the 5600 block of Ithan Street in Philadelphia. The jury returned a verdict of not guilty after deliberating...

    Drug Charges in Philadelphia PA State Court – Possession of a Controlled Substance

    In most criminal drug cases in Philadelphia, there are two common charges or offenses: Possession of a Controlled Substance and Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Deliver. In addition to these drug charges, there are other drug related charges, such...

    Drug Charges in Philadelphia PA State Court – What is “Possession”

    Page last reviewed and updated: October 20, 2019 One of the most common types of criminal state (PA) cases in Philadelphia is possession of drugs. Possession of a Controlled Substance (PCS) and Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Deliver (PWID) often...

    Pennsylvania Second Degree Murder (AKA: Felony Murder) Law

    Philadelphia criminal lawyer David S. Nenner discusses the current status of second degree murder law in Pennsylvania. This is also known as the felony murder rule. Get info about PA court decisions and the agency theory. Not every case of death during the commission of a felony will result in a second degree murder conviction in PA.

    Philadelphia Murder Cases – Police Investigation Tactics

    Questioning Police Officer Tactics in Philadelphia Murder Cases Within the last 10 years, there have been several murder Philadelphia criminal cases in which the accused individuals were acquitted of the crimes. In these cases, the individuals spent months, if not...

    Murder Charges in Pennsylvania – Murder Law in Pennsylvania

    An explanation of Pennsylvania murder laws including Section 2502. What is murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree and murder in the third degree. Get a summary of the definitions under Pennsylvania criminal law.