Philadelphia Criminal Law Firm
“Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Philadelphia” by Super Lawyers (2015-2020)
Page last updated: August 6, 2020
The criminal law library of the Nenner Law Firm provides criminal law articles, FAQs, and news about drugs and narcotics charges and offenses in Philadelphia, PA. The articles, FAQs and news are for information only and do not provide legal advice.
If you would like a free consultation by our criminal lawyers, please call (215) 564-0644.
Philadelphia Criminal Law Articles
- Pennsylvania (State) Drug Charges, Dog Sniffs & Constitutional Law (October 15, 2020)Federal and Pennsylvania state courts treat narcotics dog searches differently. So different that the same scenario could result in different outcomes in federal versus state court. For example, a Philadelphia resident is pulled over for speeding. During the traffic stop, a narcotics officer arrives on the scene with a drug dog who sniffs the ...
- Dog Sniff Searches of Cars in Pennsylvania Traffic Stops (Federal Law) (October 6, 2020)Dog or canine searches of cars during traffic stops in PA often lead to drug possession/dealing charges and gun charges. For example, a police officer pulls over a driver for speeding. During the traffic stop, a canine search is performed revealing several bags of heroin. The individual is arrested and charged with federal charges, drug ...
- Federal Drug Dealing Crime Sentencing Law – Mandatory Minimum Sentences Reduced in Phila. Cases (September 17, 2020)On December 21, 2018, federal sentencing laws for drug cases were amended significantly. The First Step Act removed the mandatory life sentence for 3 time drug offenders in high quantity drug dealing cases and also reduced the mandatory minimum sentences for 2nd offenses. Also, the First Step Act also made the Fair Sentencing Act of ...
- Philadelphia Gun & Violent Crime Cases on the Rise (July 20, 2020)Shootings and gun cases in Philadelphia have risen sharply in 2020. Here’s a look at some of the most recent data provided by the Philadelphia Police Department: From July 12, 2019 to July 12, 2020, there’s been a 55% increase in the number of shootings. (1018 versus 1578 shootings) During the same period, there’s been a ...
- My son was arrested in Philadelphia, PA for drugs and guns after he was chased by police for no reason. He didn’t do anything wrong. Can he beat the charges? (May 22, 2020)My son was arrested in Philadelphia, PA for drugs and guns after he was chased by police for no reason. Can we beat the charges?
- Pennsylvania Criminal Law – Running or Walking Away from Police (May 18, 2020)Can police chase someone who runs or walks away when on the street or sidewalk? Is reasonable suspicion required? Philly criminal law firm answers these questions.
- Chester, PA Shootings & Homicides, May 2020 (May 13, 2020)Homicides and murders are up in both Chester and Philadelphia PA so far in 2020. Murder investigations when homicide rates are high may lead to false confessions.
- Attempted Murder & Conspiracy to Commit Murder Charges in Pennsylvania Shooting Cases (April 21, 2020)Many residents of Philadelphia and nearby counties like Delaware County or Chester County face criminal cases due to a shooting. In this legal article, our criminal law firm provides legal info on attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder, two common charges in shooting cases in Pennsylvania. Criminal cases accepted in Philadelphia, Delaware County, Chester ...
- Pennsylvania Criminal Law: Passenger’s Legal Rights During Traffic Stops in Philadelphia (February 26, 2020)What are legal rights of passengers during traffic stops in Pennsylvania? Can an officer order a passenger to exit a car? Can an officer search a passenger’s personal items?
- Pennsylvania Criminal Law – Best Way to Fight Drug Possession or Dealing Charges (February 13, 2020)What are the best ways to fight a drug possession or drug dealing charge in Pennsylvania? 1. attack the legal basis for the search or seizure of the drugs, or 2. make factual arguments that damage the prosecution’s case.
- Philadelphia Gun Possession Case – PA Supreme Court Held in Favor of Defendant (Commonwealth v. Cost, Jan. 22, 2020) (February 3, 2020)Philadelphia Gun Possession Case – PA Supreme Court Held in Favor of Defendant (Commonwealth v. Cost, Jan. 22, 2020). Officers illegally seized the defendant’s gun when it ran a warrants check while holding defendant’s ID and also asking about what was in defendant’s bag.
- Criminal Charges After Police Officer Asks for Your ID Card in Pennsylvania (January 28, 2020)If you were arrested after officers stopped you on the street and asked for your id, your constitutional rights may have been violated. Read about PA criminal law in these street encounters by law enforcement.
- Pennsylvania Criminal Charges – Were You Stopped on the Street by Police in Philadelphia or the Nearby Counties? (January 27, 2020)Whether it’s a gun possession or drug dealing case in Philadelphia, Chester or Delaware County, searches and seizures of contraband often happen on the street. Pedestrians who are minding their own business are often stopped by uniformed and plain clothes officers. What happens when an officer searches an individual and finds a gun, or when an ...
- Drug & Gun Charges – Mandatory Minimum Prison Sentences & Pennsylvania’s 3 Strike Rule for Violent Crimes (January 8, 2020)Read about Pennsylvania’s 3 strike rule for violent crime convictions which results in 10 years for a 2nd conviction and 25 years for a 3rd conviction. How does the 3 strike rule apply in drug or gun cases in Philadelphia, Delaware & Montgomery counties?
- Criminal Defense Law in Drug/Gun Cases (December 4, 2019)Felony drug and gun charges may be dismissed or reduced in Philadelphia, Delaware County, Chester County, etc. This includes state or federal cases.
Philadelphia Criminal & Legal Resources
Philadelphia Criminal Justice Center
1301 Filbert Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Court of Common Pleas (Philadelphia) Criminal Case Forms
James A. Byrne U.S. Courthouse
601 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
833 Chestnut Street, Suite 1220
Philadelphia, PA 19107